Abnormal Bleeding

Abnormal Bleeding

What is abnormal bleeding?

Abnormal bleeding can encompass several different areas of concern for women. For example, if a woman’s menstrual period is prolonged or heavier than it rightfully should be, that would be considered abnormal vaginal bleeding. Similarly, if the bleeding is not a part of a menstrual cycle it could be attributed to pregnancy or menopause. However, these are only a few of the underlying causes that can cause unusual bloody discharge from the vaginal area and must be properly assessed by a doctor before diagnosis.

Why visit a urogynecologist for abnormal bleeding?

Dr. Douglas Waterman’s primary training is as a general gynecologist. In this capacity he is very able to work patients up for all general gynecology problems such as abnormal uterine bleeding. In addition, he is able to assess any associated problems with pelvic floor health or urinary incontinence issues. If it should come to surgery, he is experienced in all of the minimally invasive surgical techniques.

What are some of the causes of abnormal bleeding?

Some of the most common causes for abnormal bleeding in women include:

  • Pregnancy
  • Fibroids
  • Menopause
  • Endometrial disorders including polyps, hyperplasia or (rarely) endometrial cancer.
  • IUD
  • Birth control
  • Hormonal imbalance

How can you diagnose abnormal bleeding?

Once you make an appointment with your physician, a review of your symptoms will be assessed, as well as medical history. Based on this, a pregnancy test and blood tests may be ordered to determine what conditions could be causing the bleeding. In some cases, an ultrasound or hysteroscopy may be required. Your physician may then refer you to Dr. Waterman, for his specialized training and expertise.

What kind of treatments are available for abnormal bleeding?

There are several different treatment options available for abnormal bleeding. However, treatment will depend on diagnosis. Some treatment forms, depending upon the cause of the abnormal bleeding, could be oral contraceptive pills or other oral medications, a medicated IUD, an endometrial ablation or local treatment of endometrial abnormalities, and in some cases a hysterectomy. The first step is proper diagnosis.

Next Step

If you are concerned about abnormal bleeding, speak with your family physician first to receive a referral to Dr. Waterman. At our New Westminster office, Dr. Waterman will provide a consult about your condition and possible treatment options. If you do not have a medicine provider, simply call our office at (604) 528-9042 for assistance in obtaining a referral.

*Individual results may vary; not a guarantee